This month’s blog posts concern places on the Avoca Walking Tour, a brochure published by the Pyrenees Tourism Association. An online transcription is available here.
22 Lalor’s Pharmacy, 1854. 1860 – “Apothecaries Hall” was owned by William Goodshaw. 1889-owned by George W. Towl. 1900-A.G. Lalor bought the business. Lalor’s descendants still own the building.


From Page 150 of the Pyrenees Shire Heritage Precinct Study (2001)
Lalor's pharmacy is a brick and timber shop and dwelling. It has significance for its age, rarity, association, influence and contextual importance. Lalor's pharmacy has operated continuously on this site since 1855, making it one of the oldest operating chemist shops in Victoria. The building is closely associated with William Goodshaw in the nineteenth century and A G Lalor in the twentieth century, both prominent local citizens who played an influential role in town affairs while also promoting the health of the community. The pharmacy building is an integral part of the Avoca streetscape.
William Goodshaw (1830-1913) migrated to Victoria in 1853 on board the Great Britain. After making his way to Castlemaine he worked as a pharmacist in conjunction with Dr Preshaw, a well-known goldfields doctor. A year later, William Goodshaw moved to Avoca and he purchased the present allotment in High St on 26 February 1855. Here he established a flourishing pharmacy business. In 1860 William Goodshaw advertised his 'Apothecaries Hall' in the Maryborough and Dunolly Advertiser, describing himself as a family chemist and druggist and seedsman. At the same time he was also the Deputy Registrar of Births and Deaths for the district of Avoca. Goodshaw invested in local companies, taking shares in the Perseverance Quartz Mining Company in 1873 and the Percydale Slate Company in 1888. In 1883 he was appointed the licensing magistrate for Avoca. In 1863 William Goodshaw was rated for a wooden shop and dwelling on the site and although it is not certain when he erected the present building, it was probably in the late 1860s. He remained in the premises until 1889 when he sold to George William Towl (1863-1909).
Ten years later Towl sold the business to Alfred George Lalor (1873-1933).
Under Lalor's management the pharmacy diversified, selling garden plants, farm seeds and veterinary supplies as well as pharmaceuticals. In 1921 an advertisement in the Avoca Mail proclaimed the availability of 'fruit trees, roses, shrubs' through Lalor's pharmacy. Another advertisement promised, 'Physicians prescriptions accurately dispensed, teeth extracted, filled etc., artificial teeth fitted'. Lalor was extremely active in town and sporting affairs and was involved at different times with the rifle club, golf club, anglers club, swimming baths, free library and Progress Association. He died in February 1933 aged fifty-nine and the shop passed to his family.
The chemist is still in business.
Further reading
- Pyrenees Shire Heritage Precinct Study (2001) Volume 2(PDF, 8MB)
- A60 133 High Street, p 150
- Avoca Heritage Study 1864-1994 Volume 3(PDF, 10MB)
- A60 High Street
